Also included in
- Hoping to take the stress out of teaching All American Boys to your class? Want to dive deeply into Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely's poignant novel, but just can't stomach spending the hours it takes to put together the questions, quizzes, and worksheets necessary? This All American Boys bundle ta$28.75$35.94Save $7.19
- Teach the Black Lives Matter movement, engage students in social justice issues, and encourage collaboration through lit circles with this Black Lives Matter & Social Justice Lit Circle Bundle--online or in person! This literature circle includes material for teaching The Hate U Give by Angie Th$93.82$117.27Save $23.45
Get your students thinking about police brutality in America before diving into All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely--online or in person! This activity focuses on activating students' prior knowledge of the issue while introducing them to influences and ideas they may not have previously considered.
For an in-person lesson, teachers will hang the 5 included signs around the room. Instructors can opt to have students fill out the included anticipation guide, or skip this step. Students will work individually or with groups to extract main ideas from the signs, before sitting down to find their key takeaway.
This is a great way to get students up and moving, thinking, and discussing their ideas with their peers.
For a virtual lesson, simply assign the digital version (in the form of a Google Slides document) and let students work through the slides independently.
This activity is great for beginning the difficult, but necessary discussions around police brutality. By comparing law enforcement in America to law enforcement in the U.K., students are able to see that it is an issue in the United States, but that the factors around American police brutality are more complicated than merely racism or abusing authority.
- Teacher's guide
- Anticipation guide (optional for the activity)
- 5 signs to hang around the classroom
- Guided questions
- Virtual version of the student materials
Be sure to check out the preview! In the preview, you'll be able to see the entire resource, with the exception of the virtual pieces. Please look this over prior to purchasing to be sure that this resource will work for you and your students.
Looking for other All American Boys resources? Check out:
- FREE Bookmarks for All American Boys
- All American Boys Introduction Presentation
- All American Boys Reading Questions
- All American Boys Quizzes
- All American Boys Reading Journal
- All American Boys Discussion Activity
***This resource includes PDFs and several Google documents within a Google Drive folder. You will need to grant TPT access to your Google account in order to access this purchase. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole PRINTABLE version of the resource, with the exception of answer keys, are included in the preview. Note that the Google versions contain the same content as the printable but may be formatted differently.