This unit focuses on the Unit NINE standards from the 2019 updated CED, but as I laid out in the Complete Year Curriculum Plan, I believe the standards of counterclaims and qualifying belong with the argument units. So, while I will be resuming with unit 5 next, I called this one 4.5 to eliminate confusion!
Standards covered in this unit:
- CLE 3.C--explain ways claims are qualified through modifier, counterarguments, and alternative perspectives
- CLE 4.C--qualify a claim using modifiers, counterarguments, or alternative perspectives
- Bonus--MLA 8 Citation
This Unit plan is a Google Drive folder of completely customizable Doc, and Slides files. It includes:
- detailed, day-by-day plans (see product preview) and teacher tips for debate success
- All the notes, slideshows, and handouts you need for class
- 2 high-interest debate topics (self-driving cars and free college tuition) with curated sets of source links for each topic
- assignment sheets with checklist-style rubrics for an annotated bibliography, debate participation, and a debate reflective essay
- answer keys for citation practice activities and citations for all the included debate sources
Even if you have already begun adapting your curriculum, there are activities to supplement, re-teach or review these essential skills suitable for any high school English class!
Just getting started with AP Language? Check out my other COMPLETE Units!