This Todo sobre mí activity is designed for first week Spanish students. Yes, they can do this in the first week. Here is how I have implemented it with my students:
Student may not use a dictionary, they engage in incidental learning.
1. Students read over the cognate vocabulary words and decide what they mean (they may not know and that is the point).
2. Complete a fill in the blank activity that gives the words context.
3. Read an interview in which the interviewee responses contains most if not all of the vocabulary. From her responses to the questions, students get an idea of what the word is. The questions and answers are really simple. Great for novice first day learners!
4. Students then use the interview as a guide to complete their own interest inventory.
5. Engage in a paired speaking about with the sample questions (7 each). I have my students move around the class.
6. Complete a compare and contrast activity using their information and the girl interviewed.
Great for allowing students to learn basic vocabulary, cognates, interrogative words, sentence structure and writing.