See how the ancients made written language! explore the history of written language and evolution of alphabet letters, then create alphabets in groups in your class! compare their letters and words and see how close (or far) the two have come. I have placed the instructions in the notes section of the powerpoint., however, if you have any questions, please let me know.
* Students will first draw simplified images on the board (glyphs)
* next they will see the evolution of that image and see how close they were.
* after 2 examples of writing the glyphs, students will listen to a short lecture about the alphabet and its evolution in history. (I have slides, but you'll need to prepare the lecture)
* The class will break up into groups and determine the 44 most important things someone 5000 years ago would come in contact with.
* they will then quickly (if not blindly) match up the phonemes with the 44 things.
* their things now have a sound meaning! they will then make a glyph for each thing and that is the symbol that holds the sound (phoneme)
* with their new alphabet (sounds and symbols) they will make new words like 'government' and "flower" you'll have to see for yourself the combos they make up!