A fun and creative way to work on letter names and sounds! This is a set of play dough mats including each letter of the alphabet, upper and lower case, with both long and short vowels.
The cards are in 2 sizes – full page and half page. Print on cardstock, cut out and laminate if desired.
Each mat shows a letter in upper and lower case, an item that begins with the letter, and a direction to follow. The children can make some things with play dough that relate to the featured letter, as directed. The colors of the play dough used do not have to be the same as the picture.
Educational objectives include:
• Recognition of upper and lower case letters
• Initial sounds of words
• Sight reading with picture supports
• Fine motor – rolling, pressing and squeezing the play dough to make the directed items
• As an extra activity, playdough can be rolled to place over the shapes of the large letters.
• The large letters can be traced with a finger.
• Incidental counting (one to one correspondence).
• Creativity when making the play dough items – the children can use different colors, any size, and make as many as they want.
• They can tell you about their activity and what they made – adding verbal expression.
The cards can be used as a center, or as a small group teaching activity, for letter and initial sound recognition.. The cards can also be arranged in alphabetical sequence.
These play dough mats are a fun way to learn and review letters, and to be creative, too.
IMPORTANT: Click on the PREVIEW button to see most pages, and to make sure this is the educational level you are looking for.
KidSparkz Teacher Resources