* 27 (two for Xx) ABC wall cards - 6.5" x 6.5" without leaving a white border
* YouTube link to a video showing the song and hand movements
* Direction page explaining how to do each hand movement
* ABC Chart on a single page with each letter and animal
We read several research articles about the best way to teach young children letter names and sounds. Between the articles and our own experience teaching kindergarten for many years, we know that most young children learn the letter names and sounds more efficiently when several learning modalities are used. These ABC chart cards were created keeping this in mind.
All of the cards use animals to represent the sounds so there is continuity to the cards. They also have hand movements for each sound to add a kinesthetic modality. Most of the hand movements are done with one hand, so that the kids can still make the movement when they are writing and stretching out sounds to help them remember. We also added music. Each patterned line is sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb (e.g., A for alligator, a says /a/). Four letter lines complete the verse. The letters are printed using a kindergartner friendly font.
There are several different ways to use these ABC chart cards.
* Trim the cards around the black edge or leave the white border and hang the cards up as your classroom alphabet chart.
* Use as a word-wall header.
* Trim the cards, print on cardstock, laminate, and have the kids put them in ABC order.
* Use the cards and hand movements during whole-class, small group and intervention group time to introduce, practice, and reinforce alphabet names and sounds.
Since we started using these cards, hand movements, and music, our kids have learned the alphabet names and sounds quicker than in the past. It has made such a positive difference!
U- Umbrella Bird
X- Fox or X-Ray Fish
We hope your kiddos love these as much as ours do. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at email@example.com. Be sure to click the star at the top of our store page to follow us for new products and freebies! divingforgold
You may also like the corresponding handwriting pages:
Alphabet Handwriting Practice Pages
Michelle Woods and Linda Ekstrom
Connect with us!