Tangibles 4 Teaching is offering a set of colourful felt alphabet manipulatives suitable for young learners. There are a variety of ways to use these play-based literacy manipulatives in your home or classroom! Children can practice upper and lower case letter recognition skills, vowel and consonant sounds and can read words that match colourful, hand-drawn clip art specifically created for use with this language arts game.
Each square is made of machine sewn felt and features a vinyl plastic window to slide the cards into. Each picture card is detailed, coloured and has a matching word on a separate card. The vowel letters – a, e, i, o and u, are red coloured, which helps children to begin to identify the letters responsible for short and long vowel sounds. For example, the “ahhh” sound in apple is short and the “a, saying its name” sound in rake is a long sound. Extra letters have been included to accommodate the literacy activities below. All cards are laminated for durability. A list of words that match the cards is included along with a list of suggested activities. Also included, is a second list of math and literacy extensions for the activity that may be ordered from Tangibles 4 Teaching.
Suggested Activities for Fantastic Alphabet Squares:
• Match upper case letters with lowercase letters.
• Match pictures with upper and/or lowercase letters.
• Match pictures with the words.
• Put the alphabet in order from A – Z or backwards too!
• Begin to spell beginning words using the letters.
• Spell family names with the letters, which is great for introducing how language uses capitals.
• Arrange the words in alphabetical order.
• Turn any of the matching activities into a memory game, or a Go Fish game of pairs.
• Spell a longer word out using the letters and see how many 2, 3 or 4 letter words your child can spell.
• Help your child spell sight words (i.e. cat, one, the) appearing in their favourite books.
• You and your child may think up your own ideas! Funtastic!