Amahl and the Night Visitors is an opera by Gian Carlo Menotti. This story is great for students of all ages and is a wonderful introduction to opera. This kit was designed for the K-8 or K-12 music teacher so the activities span a large age range. This kit includes:
1. Viewing guide (questions and short answers) for upper grades. Easily usable through junior high. Answer key included. The questions focus on what is happening in the story rather than musical components (like duets, recitative, etc...).
2. Viewing guide for lower grades (draw the scenes).
NOTE: The viewing guides were designed for use with this version: Menotti - Amahl and the Night Visitors [VHS]
but are general enough that they would work with other versions as well.
3. Color sheet with a brief description of the opera.
4. Amahl and me venn diagram.
5. Writing prompt for upper grades.
6. Writing/drawing prompt for lower grades.
7. About Amahl and the Night Visitors reading passage with questions (upper grades) with answer key.
I use this opera 2nd grade through 8th grade in December or January, but it can be used at any time of the year.
This kit comes as a PDF.
You might also like:
Nutcracker Listening Glyphs
Nutcracker Vocabulary Bulletin Board
Nutcracker Writing Prompts
Sing the Christmas Story
Christmas Nativity Color by Music Symbol
Wiggle and play with these resources:
Reindeer Rhythms - A Poison Rhythm Game
Rap It Clap It Music Match It Days in December