This lesson plan uses the common core standards because the activity focuses on reading comprehension about the conflicts between Natives and American citizens.
1. Lesson Plan with notes
2. 3 Ability Levels of Vocabulary Sheets
3. Enriched Note Sheets
4. Basic Note Sheets
5. Reading Comprehension Activity
6. Reading Comprehension Activity Answer Key
The content includes:
1. Motivated by New Economic Opportunities (gold rush, boomtowns, ghost towns)
2. Changing Patterns of Movement: African Americans begin to move North (Great Migration or exodus, buffalo soldiers, jobs, tension)
3. Westward Settlement (transcontinental railroad)
4. Westward Settlement (homestead act, Oklahoma Land Rush)
5. Westward Settlement affects on Native Americans (reservations, massacres)
6. Westward Settlement affects Native Americans (Dawes Act)
7. Disappearance of the Frontier-Physical Limits of Geography (pollution, buffalo, etc.)
All links worked on 1/14/2014 when it was lastly revised. I cannot guarantee links because I do not control the internet.
This lesson plan goes with a PowerPoint that is sold separately. You can find it by following this link:America Becomes an Increasingly Mobile Society PowerPoint
If you are interested in both the PowerPoint and the lesson plan, you should follow this link to find the BUNDLE that will SAVE you $2.00: America Becomes an Increasingly Mobile Society PowerPoint & Lesson Bundle
Please download the preview file so that you have a better idea of what you will be getting. It will actually take about 83 minutes to complete this lesson plan.
Thank you in advance for rating and commenting on this PowerPoint. Please be specific when you comment so that other teachers know why you rated it the way you did. It also helps me become a better teacher and seller.
You can follow me on TPT to find out when I throw sales, when I post new items and provide super secret deals. You can also subscribe to my blog to get even more information: Social Studies Differentiated Instruction
America Becomes and Increasingly Mobile Society Lesson Plan
by Kasha Mastrodomenico
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License
Based on a work at http://www.socialstudiesdifferentiatedinstruction.com
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.socialstudiesdifferentiatedinstruction.com