The following is a two-day (75 minute periods) common core-based lesson/worksheet on the events leading up to and including the Declaration of Independence. This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Do now – Benjamin Franklin vs. William Franklin
• Secondary source reading – Second Continental Congress – includes critical thinking questions
• Primary source excerpts – Common Sense – includes several questions
• Primary source analysis – Declaration of Independence – includes 12 Critical thinking questions perfect for small group or whole class discussion.
• Movie clip “1776 – The Musical” – Not included but available at your local library or on Amazon.
• Answer the aim.
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!