American 20th-21st century wars & conflicts: Great research assignment with rubric
War & Conflict Unit Assessment
America: 20th / 21st Century Wars and Conflicts
During the 20th -21st Century America became a major world power in international affairs. With great power comes great responsibility. America has therefore been involved in many different “wars” and conflicts with many different countries and groups.
It is your job, to research a conflict/war and present the information using the outline attached.
You can choose to do any of the following:
• Research Paper
• PowerPoint/ Prezi
• Board Game
• Anything else just run it by me
MYP Criteria A and C
All of these must be present in your project
(Use this as a check sheet)
1. MAIN Causes of the war
a. What was the spark of the war?
b. Describe Militarism- the use of weapons and arms buildup by the countries prior to the war
c. Were there alliances? If so who? Why?
d. Imperialism- did anyone take over anything prior to the actual war?
e. Nationalism- what motivated the countries to do so
2. Location (s) in general of the war/event
3. Who were the significant individuals?
a. Leaders, President(s), Generals, etc. Why were they significant?
4. Which countries were fighting? Why and how did each get involved? What were their motives?
5. Why was the US involved? What was our goal?
6. What major weapons and new technology or science was used?
7. Describe major battles
a. Where were they?
b. Who fought in them?
c. Describe the battle- military tactic (s)
d. Casualties? Deaths?
e. What was the outcome
8. Find letters (at least 2) of soldiers during the war- what was their experience
9. Response at home (in US)
a. This could be letters from people about the war
b. America’s public opinion
10. Describe / demonstrate knowledge of propaganda
a. Political cartoons, commercials (more present time), Hollywood films, etc..
b. How did US get the public to care
c. Music of the era
d. Proponents and opponents of the war/battle/event
11. President’s action/ Congress Actions
a. What did the president tell the nation?
b. Analyze important speeches and presidential actions
c. Major laws created/ civil liberties restricted/ court cases that may have been involved (etc..)
12. What was the outcome?
c. Was there a “winner”? Why did they win? What did they get?
d. Who was the “loser”? Why did they lose? What was the result?
e. What effect has it had on the parties today?
i. Do we have a positive or negative relationship with the countries involved? (describe)
ii. Trade relations of modern day/ tensions of countries/ alliance of countries
13. One paragraph conclusion using ICED: Should we have been involved in the war/event? Why or why not?
a. Remember ICED: Introduce, Cite, Explain, Done
20th - 21st Century Wars / Conflicts to Choose From:
Omitting the Wars/ Conflicts We Studied in Class
1. Border War: (1910-1919) Part of Mexican Revolution
2. Banana Wars (1898–1934) US intervention in Central America
3. Bluff War (1914-1915) or Posey War of 1915, or the Polk and Posse War
One of the last armed conflicts between the United States and native Americans
4. Lebanon Crisis (1958)
5. Simba Rebellion (1964) Part of Cold War: Democratic Republic of Congo
6. Dominican Civil War (1965-1966)
7. Six-Day War (1967)
8. Communist Insurgency in Thailand Part of the Cold War
9. Shaba II (1978) invasion of the Shaba separatist movement FNLC into
the Zairian province of Shaba
10. Multinational force in Lebanon Part of Lebanese Civil War
11. Invasion of Grenada Part of Cold War
12. Tanker War (1987-1988) Part of Iran-Iraq War
13. Invasion of Panama (1989-1990)
14. Gulf War (1990-1991)
15. Somali Civil War (1992-1995)
16. Intervention in Haiti (1994-1995)
17. Bosnian War (1994-1995) Part of Yugoslav Wars
18. Kosovo War (1998-1999) Part of Yugoslav Wars
19. War in Afghanistan (2001-2014) Part of War on Terror
20. Iraq War (2003-2011) Part of Iraqi Insurgency/ War on Terror
21. Desert Storm
22. Persian Gulf War (1990-1991)
23. Third Balkan War (1991-1995)
24. Soviet Afghan War (1979-1989)
25. Rwandan Genocide (1994)
26. War in North-West Pakistan (2004-Present) Part of War on Terror
27. Military Intervention in Libya (2011) Part of Libyan Crisis
28. War on ISIL- Operation Inherent Resolve (2014- Present)
Part of Iraqi Civil War, Syrian Civil War, Second Libyan
Civil War, Boko Haram Insurgency, and War on terror
29. War in Afghanistan (2015-Present) Part of War on Terror
30. Second Kashmir War (1965)
31. Six-Day War (1967)
32. Warsaw Pact Invasion of Czechoslovakia (1968)
33. Bengali War of Independence (1971)
34. Yom Kippur War/Ramadan War (1973)
35. Lebanese Civil War (1975-1991)
36. Ogaden War (1977-1978)-
37. Cambodia-Vietnam War (1977-1991)
38. China -Vietnam War (Feb. 17-Mar. 16, 1979
39. Thai-Laotian Border Clashes (1980, 1984, 1987)
40. Afghan Civil War (1978-Present)
41. Iranian Hostage Crisis (1979-1981)--
42. Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan (1979-1989)
43. Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)
44. Falkland Islands War (1982)
45. Israeli Invasion and Occupation of Southern Lebanon (1982-2000)
46. Invasion of Grenada (1983)
47. Gulf War (1991)
48. Third Balkan War
49. Second Chechen War
50. Congo War
ANY OTHER- THERE ARE MORE NOT MENTIONED
Criterion A: Knowing and Understanding
• Use Vocabulary in context
• Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of subject-specific content and concepts, using descriptions, explanations and examples
Achievement Level Vocabulary Content Knowledge Describes/ explains Score
0 None None None
1-2 Some vocabulary Basic knowledge Basic – w/ limited Description
3-4 Some Vocabulary Satisfactory knowledge of content Simple descriptions w/ Simple explanation and/or examples
5-6 Considerable relevant vocabulary, often accurate Substantial knowledge and understanding of content and concepts Substantial descriptions w/ Substantial explanation and evidence
7-8 Consistently uses relevant vocabulary accurately Excellent knowledge and understanding of content and concepts Detailed descriptions, explanations and examples
Criteria C Communication
• Communicates information and ideas with clarity
• Organize information and ideas effectively for the task
• List sources of information in a way that follows the task instruction
Achievement Level Communicated with clarity Organizes information and ideas effectively for the task List sources of information in a way that follows the task SCORE
1-2 Communicated information and in style that is NOT ALWAYS Clear Organizes information and ideas in a LIMITED WAY INCONSISTENTLY Lists Sources, NOT following the task instructions
3-4 Communicated information and in style that is Somewhat Clear SOMEWHAT Organizes information and ideas Lists Sources in a way that SOMETIMES follows the task instructions
5-6 Communicated information and in style that is MOSTLY Clear MOSTLY Organizes information and ideas Lists Sources in a way that OFTEN follows the task instructions
7-8 Communicated information and in style that is COMPLETELY Clear COMPLETELY Organizes information and ideas EFFECTIVELY Lists Sources in a way that ALWAYS follows the task instructions
MYP Grade A:_________
MYP Grade C:_________
% Grade: ____________