45 Multiple Choice Questions in video order serve as a viewing worksheet or test while 2 crossword puzzles, each differentiated into easy and harder levels, provide students with a fun and engaging review!
American Experience Presents The Presidents: TR
is a comprehensive biography of the 26th President of the United States. The program, which consists of four parts in all, originally aired on PBS stations throughout the U.S. The total series lasts about four hours and covers Theodore Roosevelt’s life in detail from his early childhood through his time as president, to his failed bid to regain the presidency, his domestic efforts during World War I, and his death. Along the way, the series explores the rise and fall of a major third party effort in American politics and focuses in on Roosevelt the conservationist.
What Your Students Will Learn from these American Experience TR Worksheets:
This specific teaching packet covers Part Three of the series, “The Good Fight.”
In Part Three, student will learn about Roosevelt’s second administration including:
• The widening rift between Progressives and Conservatives in the Republican Party
• The activities of muckrakers and how Roosevelt responded
• Roosevelt’s focus on conservation including establishing National Parks, National Monuments, and federal wildlife refuges
• Roosevelt’s foreign policy in Asia including dealing with the growing threat of Japan and winning a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the Russo-Japanese War
• Boom economic times crashing down in the Panic of 1907
• Roosevelt’s choice of Taft to succeed him
• The world tour of the Great White Fleet
About these American Experience Theodore Roosevelt Worksheets
This packet contains a multiple choice worksheet that covers one-fourth of the video series as well as two crossword puzzles.
All multiple choice questions are presented in video order so that students can complete problems as they are watching. Tracking information as the video plays will help students to pay more attention and learn more, and students may also find that at times, the questions help to clarify what they see taking place on-screen.
The crossword puzzles are differentiated for various learning levels. To begin with, there is a “basic” level crossword, numbered #1, that only includes major ideas from the video. In addition, there is an “advanced” level crossword, numbered #2, that includes everything from the basic puzzle plus additional problems that are more detailed.
Within each of these two levels, however, teachers can still differentiate – I have included a standard crossword that just includes a grid and clues, as well as a version that adds in a word bank for students to choose from.
To help teachers correct work and / or go over answers with the class, there are two answer keys: a traditional solution grid filled out, and a vocabulary list of all the terms listed with their matching clues.
Teacher convenience features included with these American Experience The Presidents TR Worksheets
• The multiple choice worksheets includes answer blanks in case teachers want students to write directly on their copies. Having answers marked on the blanks instead of just having the correct choices circled makes it easier for teachers to review student efforts.
• At times, consumable worksheets can be the best approach for a given class, but in other cases, teachers may want to copy off a file set of worksheets that can be re-used from year to year or class to class. To help make correcting as efficient as possible in that case, I have included a special student answer sheet where answers can be recorded.
• The teacher answer key exactly matches the format/setup of the answer sheets in order to make correcting fast and easy!
• The crossword puzzles include answer keys to assist teachers with discussing content with the class.
• The crossword puzzles are designed to make differentiated learning fast and easy!
Sample lesson plans for use with these American Experience Theodore Roosevelt Worksheets
The Presidents: TR lasts about four hours in all. Part Three of the video series lasts about 43 minutes.
• Lesson Plan #1: Viewing worksheet + Crossword Follow-Up:
Show the video over the course of two class periods, stopping as it pleases you to discuss main ideas with the class or question them on what they think of TR’s developing political ideas. This will probably take you until near the end of the second day’s class period, depending on how much discussion time you work in. Have students complete the multiple choice questions as they are watching. Use any remaining time on Day #2 to go over answers and have a final discussion/debriefing of the video. The next day, use the crossword puzzles, basic and/or advanced, as a casual follow up or a quiz that will be graded.
• Lesson Plan #2: Note taking while viewing + Test:
Show the video straight through without discussion, finishing it up during the first few minutes on the second day (assuming your class periods are less than an hour long). Encourage students to take notes as they watch. Pass out the multiple choice questions sheets only after the video has been viewed in full. Assign the questions as a quiz or test, allowing students to use their notes as they complete them.
• Lesson Plan #3: Substitute Lesson Plan:
Follow lesson plan #2 above, or #1 minus the crossword worksheet. Then, later in the year when you have a sub coming in. use the crossword worksheet as a targeted review of TR’s early years. Choose from either Crossword #1, which is at a basic level, or Crossword #2, which is more advanced. Require students to answer from memory individually or in groups, or assign the crossword as a research project if your students can access the Internet in your absence.
Where to find the video
The Presidents: TR plays from time to time on public television stations across the country and is also sometimes available on streaming services. The best way to find out where it might currently be available is to run a simple Google search.
For teachers who prefer to purchase hard media, American Experience Presents The Presidents: TR is available as part of The President’s Collection, which provides American Experience biographies of more than 10 20th-century presidents, all bundled together in a very affordable set. The episode focusing in on TR can also be purchased separately from PBS online.
More About the Video:
NOTE: This teaching packet contains student and instructor material to go with Part Three of American Experience: The Presidents: TR.
Part Three, “The Good Fight” covers TR’s second administration, covering his presidency from 1905 through 1908.
This teaching packet does NOT include materials to go with the other three parts of the series, summarized below for your convenience. Follow the links below to reach teaching packets for other parts of American Experience: TR:
Part One, “The Long Campaign,” chronicles TR’s life from his early childhood up through his taking on the role of Vice President in 1901.
American Experience TR Part 1 Worksheets and Puzzles
Part Two, “The Bully Pulpit” covers TR’s first administration, covering his presidency from 1901 through 1904.
American Experience TR Part 2 Worksheets and Puzzles
Part Four, “Black Care” covers TR’s retirement from the presidency, his growing disenchantment with Taft’s policies, and his failed bid to become president again in 1912.. It then details TR’s life afterwards, including his dangerous Brazilian expedition and his public service during World War I, ending with his death in early 1919.
American Experience TR Part 4 Worksheets and Puzzles
I do hope that you find these American Experience Presents The Presidents: TR worksheets a valuable addition to your U.S. history or government teaching repertoire!