This mini-unit includes all you will need to close read about the American Flag. It includes 4 levels of differentiated student text as well as a teacher text for modeling text coding. This mini-unit is designed to teach primary age students how to close read, take notes, and write about text. Lessons are project based. You begin by reading the students a letter from the National Park Service. Students are engaged as they learn about the American Flag in order to write an informational guide. Students practice speaking and listening skills as they pretend to be park rangers teaching visitors about the American Flag. The mini-unit consists of a 3 part close reading lesson, interactive drama, and writing activity.
During this lesson the students will:
- Read letter from National Park Service rangers which says they need students to help!
- Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text about the American Flag (text provided)
- Code text with the teacher (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others
- Read differentiated text about the American Flag with partners (4 different levels are provided)
- Code text with partners using differentiated printable books
- Take notes on the American Flag using a note sheet (note sheet provided)
- Write an “How to Respect the Flag” page for the National Park tours using their notes (how to graphic organizer provided)
- Synthesize their deeper understanding of American Flag by acting as a tour guide and teaching visitors about the American Flag (costumes provided)
- Assess the quality of their how to respect the American Flag (assessment/checklist provided)
- Step by Step Lesson Plans
- Printable Teacher Text
- Text Dependent Questions for American Flag teacher Text
- Printable Student books (4 different levels)
- Close Reading Anchor Charts
- Student Note Sheet
- How to Respect the Flag Writing
- Writing Assessment/Checklist
- Interactive Drama Printable Costumes
You can also purchase our American Symbols Pack
which includes 4 different American Symbols at a discounted price.
Or you can purchase each symbol individually
The Statue of Liberty
The Liberty Bell
The Bald Eagle
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog