DBQs are an excellent way to hit most of the Common Core standards in your class. If there is one activity that encapsulates the requirements of the Common Core - the DBQ is it!
Prompt: What were the motives for American Imperialism and what problem(s) arose with these newly acquired territories?
Here is a list of the documents:
1. Sea Power, Alfred T. Mahan (1890)
2. Encyclopedia Britannia, Excerpt about Open Door Notes
3. Rudyard Kipling, The White Man's Burden (1899)
4. Emilio Aguinaldo, Central Filipino Committee, LETTER TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, (1899).
5. Article VII of the Platt Amendment of 1903.
6. February 1901, "To the Person Sitting in Darkness," by Mark Twain
This product comes with a DBQ Essay Organizer and Essay Rubric.