Included in this U.S. Imperialism PowerPoint Lecture Set is the following:
- A 42-slide PowerPoint lecture that provides context on American Imperialism (for an introductory lesson). Covers:
1. Previous American Foreign Policy (Proclamation of Neutrality, Monroe Doctrine, Manifest Destiny)
2. Factors Leading to Imperialism
3. Hawaii Annexation
4. Spanish-American War (USS Maine, Butcher Weyler, Yellow Journalism)
5. China Open Door Policy (Open Door Note, John Hay, Boxer Rebellion)
6. Panama Canal (Teddy Roosevelt, Speak Softly, Revolution)
- A 2-page lecture outline that corresponds with the PowerPoint Slides
- This lesson should be delivered over the course of 1-2 50-minute class periods (can be expanded or condensed)
- This lesson was created for upper high school students. However, the lecture outline can also be adapted as fill-in-the-blank notes for lower grade-levels.
- It is best delivered to students as they copy notes in notebooks or on laptops.