Use these 36 task cards to introduce or review genres in American literature. Task cards ask students to identify genres based on key characteristics and excerpts. The cards -- available in both color and black and white -- introduce and explore the following genres:
Native American literature/oral storytelling
Puritan literature/Age of Faith
Revolutionary literature/Age of Reason
The .zip file contains the following .pdfs (which cannot be edited):
1) cover page (1)
2) four pages of genre definition task cards (with and without labels) - 12 total task cards with labels and 12 total task cards without labels
3) four pages of genre excerpt task cards - 24 total genre excerpt task cards
4) task card answer recording sheets (3)
5) answer key and credits page (2)
6) black and white pages for all 36 task cards
Note: This is a challenging activity. Your students may require you to provide the genres ahead of time or notes to help them as they work through the excerpts. Students will struggle with this activity, but will benefit from the in-depth study of genres. Alternatively, you can give task cards in sets so students are working only with early American lit or later American lit. These cards are best for AP or honors students. My sophomores worked through the activity and came away with a deeper understanding of what comprises each genre.
This product is in my literature task cards bundle:
Literature Task Cards Bundle
All excerpts are original by Let's Get Literature or in the public domain.