Get students thinking about why they study American Literature with this whole-class research and debate project. Students will argue for or against the study of American Literature after researching their side of the argument, finding evidence to support their side, and developing questions to ask of the opposite side.
Great for use at the beginning of the year, at the end of a term, or any time you think students need to understand the reasons behind what you do in your American Literature course.
The following items are included in the download (.pdfs that cannot be edited):
* Teacher instructions page (1 page)
* Sample answer key (1 page)
* Student instructions and rubric (2 pages — one rubric with point values included and one rubric with blanks for you to write in point values)
* Student research page (2 pages — one each for the pros and cons sides of the argument)
* Essential questions to promote critical thinking and prompt research (1 page)
* Post-debate assessment for students to analyze points made and whether their minds were changed (1 page)
Looking for other American Literature resources?
Fahrenheit Escape Room
Farewell to Arms Task Quiz Packet
Red Badge of Courage Flip Book
Crucible Escape the Room
Declaration of Independence Task Cards