You can purchase all of my U.S. Government resources which includes power points, guided notes (with questions), homework, quizzes, unit tests, and group projects here: U.S. Government Resources
A quick word about my teaching style so that you know what you are getting into. I have worked at several schools in the past where I did not have the ability to check out books to students because of short supply. Because of this, I created materials in which I wouldn't need my students to have a textbook to be prepared for any tests or quizzes that they received. The power points that I created are quite extensive and include guided notes and video that go along with them. The students do not write down every word from the presentation and can focus on listening and learning the material from the lecture. Additional items that I have posted can be used for notebook check assignments which I usually have whenever I get to the end of a unit.
I created this bundle for an U.S. Government regular or honors class. This bundle includes the following resources:
- A 142 slide (188 mb) power point that covers political parties within the United States. I have included pictures and video to help you illustrate the themes that the notes go over.
- 4 days of guided notes that go along with the presentation. I have included questions at the bottom of each page of notes which I have my students complete for notebook check assignments.
Day 1 What parties do - An overview of the function of political parties and the
different types of systems that exist in the world.
Day 2 The Two-Party System - How are electoral system naturally pushes us
toward a two-party system and the major parties that have existed throughout
Day 3 Minor Parties - The roll that 3rd parties play in our system and how they
sometimes can play spoiler.
Day 4 - Party Organization - What parties do between elections, the primary
process, and national convention
- Warm-ups that can be given at the start of class. I also included instructions for a political spectrum survey so the students can see if they have a liberal or conservative lean and another survey that shows them which political party they best line up with.
- Political Game - This teaches the students the two-party system and the winner-take-all feature of American politics. It allow the students to run a candidate for class president. In my class I give the class president some minor responsibilities to do in my class. I have included instructions at the end of the document that walks you through it step by step.
- Political Parties Chart assignment - this has the students research the major American political parties in American history and some of our current 3rd parties.
- 3rd Party project - This is a group project where the students create a 3rd party and research the Democratic and Republican Party platforms in order to cite how they are different. The students need to make their own platform, run a candidate for president, and create their own commercial. The students present their projects to the class. I have included examples of the platform, commercial, and the grading rubric.
- A political parties quiz that includes 5 multiple-choice questions, 5 fill-in-the-blank, 5 true/false, and a short essay. There is a key included at the end of the quiz.
That's everything! Thank you very much for considering this product. Cheers!
Please take a look at other bundles that I have created for U.S. Government:
Principles of Government Bundle
Origins of American Government Bundle
The Constitution Bundle
The Electoral Process
Voting and Voter Behavior Bundle
Mass Media and Public Opinion Bundle
Interest Groups Bundle
The Legislative Branch Bundle
The Executive Branch Bundle
U.S. Foreign and Military Policy Bundle
The Judicial Branch Bundle
Civil Liberties Bundle