PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Students use this 33 slide notebook to practice using research skills and citing evidence while learning about America's symbols This social studies resource is for students in grades 3 - 5.
Though many tasks can be done with paper and pencil, doing the same task through Google Apps can present greater opportunities for student learning. Google Slides can embed links to useful videos; Google Slides can enhance understanding with color diagrams, pictures and photographs; animation can also be embedded and use to demonstrate a concept. Most importantly, students are using 21st century learning tools that will prepare them for eventual online standardized testing.
1. Use it like a traditional Interactive Notebook.
2. Use it one slide at a time to compliment a specific lesson on America’s symbols.
3. Use it as independent work such as classroom work, project work, or even homework.
This Interactive Digital Notebook has been paired with Common Core State Standard for English Language Arts for grades 3 - 5 so that you can integrate it with Language Arts. All student slides have been designed so that students research one particular American symbol.
The Interactive Digital Notebook includes most of the important symbols of America. The Interactive Digital Notebook is in 7 parts: The United States Flag, The Liberty Bell, The Bald Eagle, The Great Seal of the United States, Uncle Sam, The Star Spangled Banner and Writing Tasks.
One slide includes 15 HYPERLINKS to trusted, reliable, kid-friendly free sites that the students can use for research and information gathering in conjunction with the print resources you provide. Some are print only, some are video sites and some are a mix of various media.
Additionally, EACH slide has a particular WEB and VIDEO link tied to the content of that slide that is in addition to the 15 other hyperlinks.
Please make sure your district/school/classroom has access to SafeShare or YouTube.
The 33 slides include:
* Slide 1: Cover Page
* Slide 2: Table of Contents
* Slide 3: Researching and Citing Evidence
* Slide 4: Instructions for Students
* Slide 5: Hyperlinks for Research
* Slide 6: Part 1 Cover Page: The United States Flag
* Slide 7: The United States Flag
* Slide 8: Comparing Flags
* Slide 9: Honoring the United States Flag
* Slide 10: Part 2 Cover Page: The Liberty Bell
* Slide 11: Liberty Bell Facts
* Slide 12: History of the Liberty Bell
* Slide 13: The Statehouse Bell
* Slide 14: Part 3 Cover Page: Bald Eagle
* Slide 15: Bald Eagle Facts
* Slide 16: Bald Eagle as a Symbol
* Slide 17: Eagles Around the World
* Slide 18: Part 4: The Great Seal of the United States
* Slide 19: Great Seal of the USA Facts
* Slide 20: Designing the Great Seal of the USA
* Slide 21: Comparing Seals
* Slide 22: Part 5: Uncle Sam
* Slide 23: Uncle Sam Facts
* Slide 24: Other “Uncle Sams”
* Slide 25: Uncle Sam Wants You
* Slide 26: Part 6: Star Spangled Banner
* Slide 27: Star Spangled Banner Facts
* Slide 28: Star Spangled Banner Lyrics
* Slide 29: Star Spangled Banner Customs
* Slide 30: Writing Tasks
* Slide 31: Opinion Writing Task
* Slide 32: Narrative Writing Task
* Slide 33: Informational Essay Writing Task
The student directions for each slide are included in the Speaker Notes at the bottom of each slide (similar to PowerPoint Presenter Notes).
Culminating research includes writing:
* an opinion: the student writes an opinion on which is the symbol that best represents the United States
* a fictional narrative: student writes a fictional narrative about an American soldier at Fort McHenry during the British bombardment during the War of 1812
* an informative essay: Student picks a symbol and writes a 3 - 5 paragraph essay on that symbol
Some other unique features of this Interactive Digital Notebook
* Table of Contents has links to each slide for easy navigation and return navigation
* HYPERLINKS to websites on the page for easy access
* Video Links use Safeshare.tv for safe viewing from YouTube
* Answer Key included
* Scoring Guide included
* List of Common Core State Standards for ELA pairings by grade level
* Tutorial for the teacher on how to assign the Interactive Digital Notebook in Google Classroom
* Teacher Tips for using Google Slides
* All student instructions are in the SPEAKER NOTES
* PDF file for the teacher of all the slides for reference
* PDF file for the teacher of the slides and SPEAKER NOTES
* There is a PRINTABLE for the student on which to take notes by hand
What are some advantages for going PAPERLESS with a cloud-based, digital resource?
→ with Google Classroom, you can view your students work live from your own computer or device
→ students turn in work digitally for you to grade
→ students can log in at home to complete assignments
→ students utilize 21st-century learning tools
→ students prepare for similar tasks they will encounter with online standardized tests
→ student motivation is high
→ replaces traditional paper/pencil tasks practice pages
If you are looking for more resources to add to your Google Classroom check out my CUSTOM CATEGORY GOOGLE Apps Ready
⭐ American LANDMARKS Interactive Digital Notebook for Google Drive®
⭐ American Revolution Interactive Digital Notebook for Google Drive®
⭐ California State Symbols Interactive Digital Notebook for Google Drive®
Be sure to click on the green ★ to follow me for updates and new product announcements!
♦ Do you need some fresh ideas and tips? Then visit My BLOG
Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly!
If you have any questions or concerns, go ahead and contact me through the Q & A and I’ll get back to you ASAP!