This a mini-project I created for my ELA unit on Heritage. We were studying American Ideals and annotating the poem, "The Star Spangled Banner." When my students didn't do so well on their Vocabulary Assessment, I created this project to help them understand symbolism and patriotism. This can also be used for Social Studies.
1. Give the students an 8 x 11 piece of construction paper.
2. Have the students pick an American symbol so they can create their own stamp.
3. Have them research their symbol, and determine what it represents.
4. On the top half of the paper, have them draw their stamp. Encourage them to be very creative.
5. Have the students write their paragraph.
I gave the students 4 days to complete their mini-projects. You can have them present it to the class if you want.