Celebrate the United States with this easy to use American Symbols unit.
CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE SOCIAL STUDIES CURRICULUM HERE
What makes this unit unique?
-Non Fiction Social Studies Unit
-Detailed Lesson Plans made to fit within your school day including an opening building background discussion, mini-lesson power point, guided practice, independent practice, closing journal reflection prompt, homework, formative assessments, graphic organizers, vocabulary cards, plus more
-Flexible Pace- You can choose which parts of a lesson to do and when. You could break it up between days or shorten the plan by only doing certain parts. This helps on days when you have limited time by your day getting cut short for various reasons.
-Tailored towards K-2
-Everything included to make Social Studies a fun part of your day!!!
DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW TO SEE THE CURRICULUM GUIDE!!
Lesson 3.1- United States Flag
Lesson 3.2- United States Symbols
Lesson 3.3- Presidential Symbols
Lesson 3.4- Statues and Mountains
Lesson 3.5- Memorials and Monuments
Supplemental Activities and Resources
-Patriotic Hat topper, U.S. Symbols Assessment, Vocabulary Cards, Graphic Organizers
These units where geared towards first grade but they could work for Kinder and Second. Just look at previews to make sure this will be the right fit for your students.
Learning about Social Studies is important! This Social Studies Curriculum was developed because of the lack of Social Studies content in elementary classrooms across the country. I have heard from so many teacher friends around the world about the lack of having a fun and engaging Social Studies curriculum. There is also a lack of Social Studies resources to compliment their curriculum. This is a big concern for me and I wanted to make a curriculum that would be easy to implement and allow teachers to incorporate social studies in their day of learning. This curriculum makes it easier for teachers to make Social Studies more engaging for students and bring to life lessons surrounding important figures and topics. As an elementary teacher, I found that the curriculum given to us was not up to date and had missing pieces. By creating this Social Studies Curriculum, students across the country are developing a love for the past and the present world around them.
Click here to see the Social Studies Curriculum Guide or Click the Green Preview button above
What makes this Social Studies Curriculum perfect for You?
• The curriculum includes 15 non-fiction Social Studies Units featuring 59 lessons that are all low prep.
• The curriculum can be used on its own or to supplement existing curriculum in classrooms.
• The detailed lesson plans that are included are made to fit within your school day. The curriculum allows for teachers to set their own pace. The lessons can be broken up over days or shortened to fit your needs. This is so important on days when your day is cut short for various reasons. The units and lessons can be taught in any order and you can use it with your own lesson sequence.
• The curriculum meets the needs for Kindergarten, First Grade, and Second Grade students.
• The lessons follow the I Do, We Do, and You Do format to support students at all levels.
• Non-fiction visuals and activities perfect for EL learners
• Each lesson resource is clearly marked and labeled with unit and lesson numbers ex. Lesson 6.2
• Take a look below for more great reasons!
What is included in each unit and the lessons?
• Building background discussion photo to start each lesson
• Mini-lesson power point with non-fiction photos and lesson content to support you in teaching important concepts
• Whole group activities
• Guided practice activities
• Independent practice activities
• Journal reflection prompt writing paper to close the lesson
• Homework activity for each lesson
• Formative assessment for each lesson
• Graphic organizers for each unit
• Vocabulary cards of all key vocabulary including a non-fiction picture visual for each unit
• Unit assessments for each unit with an included grading rubric
• Writing activity or craftivity for hallway display for each unit
What is included in each lesson plan?
• Lesson topic
• Grade range
• Unit essential question
• Content objective
• Materials needed
• Key vocabulary
• Time length
• Focus questions
• Lesson Introduction
• Mini lesson
• Guided practice
• Independent practice
• Lesson closure including
• Formative assessment
15 Non-Fiction Social Studies Units and 59 Lessons
LESSON 1.1-WHAT IS A MAP?
LESSON 1.2-IDENTIFYING WATER AND LAND
LESSON 1.3-MAP SYMBOLS AND MAP KEYS
LESSON 1.4-MAP DIRECTIONS
LESSON 1.5-WHAT IS A GLOBE?
LESSON 1.6-COMPARING MAPS AND GLOBES
LESSON 2.1-MY HOME
LESSON 2.2-MY CITY
LESSON 2.3-MY STATE
LESSON 2.4-MY COUNTRY
LESSON 2.5-MY CONTINENT
LESSON 2.6-MY WORLD
LESSON 3.1-UNITED STATES FLAG
LESSON 3.2-UNITED STATES SYMBOLS
LESSON 3.3-PRESIDENTIAL SYMBOLS
LESSON 3.4-STATUES AND MOUNTAINS
LESSON 3.5-MEMORIALS AND MONUMENTS
LANDFORMS AND WATER
LESSON 4.1-OCEANS AND RIVERS
LESSON 4.2-PONDS AND LAKES
LESSON 4.3-MOUNTAINS AND VALLEYS
LESSON 4.4-HILLS AND PLAINS
LESSON 4.5-DESERTS AND ISLANDS
LESSON 5.1-NEEDS AND WANTS
LESSON 5.2-GOODS AND SERVICES
LESSON 5.3-PRODUCERS AND CONSUMERS
LESSON: 6.1-MEDICAL HELPERS
LESSON 6.2-EDUCATIONAL HELPERS
LESSON 6.3-PROTECTIVE SERVICE HELPERS
LESSON 6.4-EARTH SERVICE HELPERS
LESSON 7.1-MY FAMILY
LESSON 7.2-EXTENDED FAMILY
LESSON 7.3-TYPES OF FAMILIES
LESSON 8.1-I LOVE MY COUNTRY
LESSON 8.2-I’M A TEAM PLAYER
LESSON 8.3-I CAN BE A LEADER
LESSON 8.4-TRAITS OF A GOOD CITIZEN
LESSON 9.1-FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
LESSON 9.2-STATE GOVERNMENT
LESSON 9.3-CITY GOVERNMENT
LESSON 10.1-FAMOUS AMERICAN WOMEN
LESSON 10.2-FAMOUS BLACK AMERICANS
LESSON 10.3-FAMOUS AMERICAN INVENTORS
OCEANS AND CONTINENTS
LESSON 11.1-OCEANS OF THE WORLD
LESSON 11.2-CONTINENTS OF THE WORLD
LESSON 12.1-LIVING IN AN URBAN AREA
LESSON 12.2-LIVING IN A SUBURBAN AREA
LESSON 12.3-LIVING IN A RURAL AREA
LONG AGO AND TODAY
LESSON 13.1-CLOTHING LONG AGO AND TODAY
LESSON 13.2-SCHOOL AND LONG AGO AND TODAY
LESSON 13.3-THEN AND NOW
LESSON 14.1- WINTER HOLIDAYS
LESSON 14.2- SPRING HOLIDAYS
LESSON 14.3- SUMMER HOLIDAYS
LESSON 14.4- SPRING HOLIDAYS
LESSON 15.1- CULTURE IN SOUTH AMERICA
LESSON 15.2- CULTURE IN EUROPE
LESSON 15.3- CULTURE IN ASIA
LESSON 15.4- CULTURE IN AUSTRALIA
LESSON 15.5- CULTURE IN AFRICA
You can try an entire lesson by clicking below!
Free Needs and Wants Lesson
You can see the Curriculum in action on my blog by clicking below!
Take a Closer Look
You can get free binder covers and binder spines to organize your units by clicking below!
Free Binder Covers and Spines
Thanks for Flying By!!!!