It is important for young children to begin to explore the American symbols to build patriotism and pride in their country, to provide a sense of belonging to a bigger place, and to communicate the ideals of the United States.
The American Symbols document provides pictures of the American symbols, USA flag, liberty bell, statue of liberty, and bald eagle as well as other famous USA governmental buildings and memorials to be posted in the block/construction center and/or the art/creation center to encourage children to recreate them. Ideas of materials to include in the construction center, as well as extensions for literacy including two poems and math are included.
Included in this resource:
- Pictures of 4 American Symbols and 8 other governmental buildings or memorials to encourage building in blocks, art or discovery center
- Open ended questions to pose while students are creating
- Vocabulary to add to discussions while students are creating
- 2 poems with shared reading ideas
- Interactive writing idea
- 2 math extensions with recording sheets
- Certificate for reciting the Pledge of Allegiance
- Certificate for telling the name and meaning of 4 American Symbols
- Standards addressed