This comprehensive study guide breaks the content of American History 1* into eight units, beginning with American colonization and ending with the onset of the Gilded Age and the closing of the Western Frontier. Each unit is subdivided into 25 key concepts for review.
The units are divided as follows:
1. Colonization of America
2. American Revolution and the Creation of the United States
3. Early United States through the War of 1812
4. The Era of Good Feelings and the Return of Sectionalism
5. The Jacksonian Era
6. Tension between the Mexican-American War and the Civil War
7. The Civil War and Reconstruction
8. The Beginning of the Gilded Age and the Closing of the Western Frontier
For final exam review, I go through one unit a day with students. I have created a powerpoint to accompany each unit as I review it. I also give students a review quiz after reviewing each unit. This method takes eight days and has resulted in test scores that are the best in my school district.
*This study guide was developed to align to North Carolina's "American History 1" curriculum, but I believe it to be applicable to any history curriculum that divides the history of the United States into two halves.