NOTE: We have a general Unlectured Series video (above) to preview the general sequence of items that is in all of our Unlectured Series topics. As the video preview mentions, the preview video uses the 'mitosis' topic (our first Unlectured Series topic) as an example. However, we have placed two images from the slideshow portion in the preview images specifically that you can view.
Purpose of Unlectured Series:
Our Unlectured Series offers an alternative to lecturing on a topic by promoting questioning, student discussion, and student creation. The series is designed to be used in place of traditional lecturing, and all topics are designed to be used as part of a science course that already offers hands-on lab experiences. In addition, many portions are very useful as part of revisiting as end of year/final exam review.
We are passionate about teaching with questioning and discussion! However, this may not be for everyone. Please note: this supplement may NOT be ideal if:
• you are wanting a traditional slideshow of information (this is definitely not that)
• the content on our free Cell Cycle (and cancer) video on YouTube is not sufficient (this is based on this content)
• you do not have access to YouTube in your classroom (viewing the short, free video clip on YouTube is recommended before students complete annotated script template)
• you cannot open zip files (this is all in one zip file)
What this Unlectured Series is Designed to Do
• Provide information in an engaging, question format. While designed to be the first time students have seen the topic, these can additionally be used for end of year reviewing as well.
• Encourage active student discussion of topics through questioning.
• Emphasize the importance of “why this content is important?” and “how is this useful in our world?"
• Use comics/cartoons/illustrations that are relevant and memorable to students.
• Be versatile! The Unlectured slideshow can be placed in a variety of digital tools. (Tool is not the focus)
What’s Included in Zip Folder
• Annotated Video Script TEMPLATE that corresponds to Amoeba Sisters The Cell Cycle (and cancer) video
• Unlectured Slideshow for The Cell Cycle (While it is in the format of a PowerPoint, it can be placed in other tools. Slideshow questions/images are NOT designed to be editable so that it can be used in other tools without formatting issues- however, you can always choose to add on if desired. Note: some minor features such as spinner/linked table of contents may not work in other tools)
• Freebie Vocabulary Clue Puzzle Template, Unanswered Question Template, Number Spinner
• Facilitation Guide
What You’ll Need
• Access to YouTube (to correspond to our free video) for either you to show the short clip to students or students to view individually
• Highlighters or Colored Pencils for annotation on the Annotated Video Script Template
• A classroom environment where students feel safe and empowered to discuss topics where students may do more of the talking than the teacher. To support discussion, this topic does recommend asking students to each bring in a food label from home (or for the teacher to have some extras on-hand).
• There is an optional "create" activity at the end of all of our topics. This particular one requires paper and scissors for students to use.
After purchasing this product, all components can be used for all your classes indefinitely. However, it is licensed to you and cannot be distributed except to your own students. Like most TPT resources, it cannot be made publicly available online as this would then make it impossible for us to continue to support ourselves. If used online, please ensure it is only shared with your classes online and not publicly accessible. If you like this resource and want your school to be able to purchase,TpT accepts school PO orders. Also, check out TpT for schools!