An Angel Just Like Me by Mary Hoffman, is a Christmas story that teaches diversity and that Jesus loves all the children of the world. In the story, An African-American boy named Tyler wonders why all angels look like girls with golden hair and pink skin. He wonders why angels can’t look like him. He goes on a quest to find the answer, but no one seems to give him the answer he’s looking for. He tells Santa, whom he knows is really Carl, the art student that babysits him. At church service, on Christmas Eve, Tyler’s family looks at the Nativity scene. Tyler wonders why baby Jesus doesn't look Jewish. His parents can't answer that question, either. When Christmas arrives, Tyler receives a package from Carl with a beautifully carved angel that looks just like him. When he goes to thank Carl for the gift, he asks for a special favor. His Asian, Hispanic, and other friends all want special angels, too.
Included in the package:
- Prezi- A 3D Lesson plan that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Main Idea and Details
C. Includes background information
D. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- Youtube Video (Jesus Loves the Little Children) 2 minutes
- 4 activities to extend the lesson
- 2 Vocabulary Practice sheet (five words per sheet)
- 1 Graphic Organizer (Main Idea and Details)
- Comprehension Quiz with 7 Multiple Choice and 1 Extended Response question. Answer key included.
Go to Laura Randazzo’s TpT store and download her FREE step by step guide to open a Prezi.