This worksheet has students analyze the poetic and figurative language devices of Shel Silverstein's classic poem "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out."
Students are asked to:
1. Write the rhyme scheme of the poem.
2. Write the number of syllables for each line.
3. Find six examples of alliteration.
4. Find two examples of repetition.
5. Find eight adjectives that describe the mess.
6. Find a hyperbole.
7. Write two lines that have end rhyme.
The worksheet includes the poem and accompanying drawing, both the property of Shel Silverstein.