This would be an introductory activity for students that have no prior experience with primary sources, or citing textual evidence. I used this as a sort of beginning lesson on how to cite textual evidence.
What I have done is taken excerpts from each of the documents, and have 1-2 questions for each that can be answered by looking at the specific excerpt. It worked well for my as a introductory to citing evidence from the text.
TN US History 8.13- Analyze the ideas that significantly impacted the development of colonial self-government
by citing textual evidence and examining multiple perspectives using excerpts from the
following documents: (C, H, P)
• The First Virginia Charter, 1606
• The Mayflower Compact, 1620
• Charter of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1629
• The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut, 1639
• The New England Articles of Confederation, 1643
• The Maryland Toleration Act, 1649