Analyze Quotes said by Famous Inventors
Directions: Read the quotes below which were said by some of the industrial revolution figures we will be learning about. Use the graphic organizer on the next page to analyze and break down each quote. Then return to this page and on a scale of 5-1 (5 being the most powerful and 1 being the least powerful) rate how powerful and inspirational each quote is in regards to yourself and the Industrial Revolution.
1. “All human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes.”
2. “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
3. “We create our future, by well improving present opportunities: however few and small they be. “
4. “Great discoveries and improvements invariably involve the cooperation of many minds. I may be given credit for having blazed the trail, but when I look at the subsequent developments I feel the credit is due to others rather than to myself.”
Alexander Graham Bell
5. “I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.”
--John D. Rockefeller
Exit Slip: Which quote do you feel is most powerful? In your own words, explain what the quote means. Then explain how it relates to our essential question. Use prior knowledge and real-life examples to support your response.