Also included in
- This curriculum has everything you need to teach an engaging, effective British Literature course for a FULL YEAR! This curriculum is fully aligned to the Common Core Standards. You can rest assured knowing this curriculum will save you time and energy that we so desperately need more as teachers wh$198.37$247.96Save $49.59
Complete poetry analysis unit with engaging activities and effective practice
Understanding poetry is challenging in itself, but analyzing it is another challenge all in itself. How can get our students to analyze poetry if they don't even understand it (or like it)? That's why I created this unit! After years of research, I created this Poetry Analysis Unit to teach students to analyze poetry by scaffolding three poetry analysis questions:
- What is happening?
- Why is it happening?
- How is it happening?
With these questions as a guide, students will engage in a meaningful and effective mini-unit all about poetic analysis. One of the best parts of this unit is that you can select your own poems or you can use the poems I suggest in my teacher's guide. It will take approximately 3 to 4 45-minute periods to complete. A suggested lesson guided, suggested answer key, and editable assessment rubric is included.
This resource includes:
- Student workbook in print and digital versions
- "Pick Your Own Poem" Reader Response Activity
- Poetry Cafe Conversation Starter Cards
- "What Is Happening?" TIES Activity
- "Why Is It Happening" Speaker Analysis
- Speaker Task Cards
- Guided Analysis for "Red, Red Rose" by Robert Burns
- "How Is It Happening?" Poetic Terms Categories
- Poetic Terms Category Cards
- Poetry Analysis Assessment
- Poetry Analysis Suggested Answer Key for "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas
- Editable PowerPoint assessment rubric
- Suggested answer key
- Teacher guide
- Directions for downloading digital assignments
*Please note the assessment rubric is the only editable component of this mini-unit.