Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is an informative text lesson where students will read an article from Newsela and consider both claims--
1. People do need to go to college to be successful in life.
2. People do not need to go to college to be successful in life.
Students will first fill out a graphic organizer to help them identify evidence from both perspectives. Once students complete this task, they move on to a writing piece.
The writing prompt asks students to look at both sides now that the graphic organizer is complete, and chose which side they feel is true. I let students create their own short essay first to see which elements they are missing when responding to such a question. Once I gathered my own information to see what they needed help in, I decided to create an essay with them whole group. Each student added to the essay we built, making sure that all the elements we needed in the writing were present.
In this purchase you will find:
1. Newsela Article- Informative Text (conveniently already put into a word document for easy printing for less paper usage)
2. Evaluating Point of View graphic organizer
3. Essay prompt question
4. Sample of the short essay prompt