Analyzing Texts Video Preview
Are your students confused about text analysis? You know how to do it yourself, but you're not sure how to make it accessible to students? I know the feeling. Analyzing texts is hard, and it rarely comes naturally. It's a difficult concept to break down into a methodical process. Still, it can be done.
I created these analyzing texts materials to help my students practice analyzing a variety of texts (nonfiction, fiction, paired texts, short films, movies, commercials/advertisements, poetry). I found that by created scaffolding (guiding questions and prompts), students better understood the concept of analyzing texts, and they felt more comfortable with doing it on their own.
This bundle includes:
- a direct instruction presentation and guided notes
that breaks down the concept of analyzing in a student-friendly manner - in PDF and PPT form
- a whole-class analyzing activity
that uses a poem, a short film, and two political cartoons (suggested use is included) - also sold individually
- an assignment that contains scaffolded questions to use with any text
- a short film (Night and Day) analysis assignment
with scaffolded questions and an extended response (film available on YouTube)
- seven graphic organizers
to use with a variety of texts (commercials, songs, fiction, nonfiction, poems, movies, and paired texts - text suggestions/recommendations with links are included)
- a pre- and post-assessment to track students' growth (with key)
- a literary analysis essay example to help move students from analyzing verbally to analyzing in a literary analysis format
- an editable single-point rubric and outline with guiding questions to accompany the literary analysis essay
- a unit overview (recommendations for order and text ideas)
- suggested texts and links to sources to use for whole-class modeling purposes
Analyzing gets easier the more students practice it. Use these analyzing texts materials to help your students get extra practice with a difficult concept. Scaffold the process to make it more understandable and less overwhelming
Please leave feedback and let me know how it works for you!
If you find this product useful, make sure to check out some related resources available in my store, like these:
Trolls Movie Guide for Big Kids
Zootopia Movie Guide for Big Kids
Summarizing Nonfiction Texts Bundle
The Sneetches Analytical Viewing Guide
Pyramus and Thisbe Analysis and Reading Guide
Cinderella Movie Analysis
Brave Movie Guide with Fairy Tales and Analysis Lesson
And more here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.