This lesson involves having students identify the basic principles and grievances of the Declaration of Independence, as well as exploring the conception of the 'Articles of Confederation' and the 'Constitution of the United States'. Students will demonstrate their interpretation of excerpts of the Declaration of Independence in a hands on activity.The provided Power-Point is a primary based resource that is designed to engage the students in the learning process. Full of colorful images, intertwined with problem posing questions, discussion and writing topics, and a variety of appealing video clips, students will be invited to closely examine and understand the historical interconnections between the 'Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the U.S. Constitution. A wrap-up, thought-provoking activity includes having students work in pairs and analyze a fictitious country and its' governing laws. This activity serves as a critical discussion piece in prompting students to understand the complexities and ethical considerations in creating laws that govern a country.
• 36 Slide Power-Point
• One Accompanied Power-Point Handout
• Activity Handout: Interpreting the Declaration of Independence
• Activity Handout: Examining 'Pelonia'
If you liked this lesson see other related 'Government' lessons here:
• Controversy and the Criminal Justice System (Eric Garner Case) (click here to open in new tab)
• Analyzing 'The Bill of Rights' (click here to open in new tab)
• Mock Trial: Class Preparation (click here to open in new tab)
• Our Constitutional Amendments: Analyzing Supreme Court Decisions (click here to open in new tab)
I OFTEN PROVIDE FREEBIES TO MY FOLLOWERS AND ALL NEW PRODUCTS DEBUT AT 20% OFF:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo at the top right corner of this page and click it to become a follower. This will allow you to be notified each time I debut a new product or freebie.