Anchor tasks, a key component of Singapore math, are used at the beginning of a lesson to focus students' thinking (like a daily warm-up) with a more complex problem that lends itself to multiple strategies and rich discussion. Usually these are word problems that require students to think critically about both process and concepts. Project and discuss, or print and have students complete on paper before discussing.
This set of 40 anchor tasks (PDF format) is aligned with the 5th grade Math in Focus textbook (book A) and includes one anchor task for each lesson in chapters 1-7. While the tasks correspond with Math in Focus chapters, they can serve as standalone warmups or a component of lessons using another curriculum.
This resource includes:
- 1 page overview of anchor tasks
- 22 pages of anchor tasks to display or print
- 22-page answer key
- Place value (4 anchor tasks)
- Multiplication & division of whole numbers (8 anchor tasks)
- Adding and subtracting fractions (7 anchor tasks)
- Multiplication & division of fractions (7 anchor tasks)
- Algebra (5 anchor tasks)
- Area of rectangles & triangles (3 anchor tasks)
- Ratio (6 anchor tasks)
Coming soon: Anchor Tasks for book 5B!