With everything that we have to cover in a school year, an interdisciplinary project just makes sense. This resource expectations Social Studies and Language Arts.
Students choose two ancient civilisations that they would like to learn more on. They then compare specific elements by doing some research, the presenting their findings in a comparison chart. By allowing students to make choices, they take responsibility in their learning and are more likely to succeed. It is also easier to differentiate the assignment by aiming for quality instead of quantity with special needs students.
To finish the project, students use their findings to compare their own lives to the ones of kids from ancient civilisations. This comparison is done in a structured text, after planning in a Venn diagram.
This resource includes:
- assessment criteria checklist for student
- list of suggested website for research
- instructions and planning pages for research project (comparing two ancient civilisations)
- comparison chart
- rubric for research project (comparing two ancient civilisations)
- planning page with Venn diagram (comparison between life now and life in the ancient civilisations)
- draft and good copy pages for written comparison
- rubric for short text (comparison between life now and life in ancient civilisations)
Canadian spelling and Ontario overall expectations and rubric are included in this file. .
Also available in French.
Projet de comparaisons de civilisations anciennes