General Directions: You have two components to complete during class today please see the directions for each section. You may work in pairs to complete the work but you should each fill out your OWN sheet.
1. Old Kingdom Research (materials: Indicators of a Healthy Society)
a. You will be researching the Egyptian Old Kingdom (make sure that you are actually looking at the Old Kingdom period 2686-2160 BC).
b. Simply follow the instructions on the handout below.
Old Kingdom Research
Directions: On the back of this sheet is your research guide; it is your job to fill in the blanks. Please remember to use “good” websites. No blogs, Mrs. Smiths 3rd grade class etc. You will need the handout on the indicators of a healthy society.
1. First choose an indicator of a healthy society, write it in the chart on the chart below (it continues on the back of this sheet of paper. You will need to do this three times as there are 3 boxes.
2. For each indicator that you choose, research how it applies to the Old Kingdom in Egypt. Make sure to be detailed in your recording bullets are fine. Place it in the appropriate box on the chart.
3. For today leave the Analogy column blank, we will fill this out next class.
Indicator of a healthy society Egypt during the Old Kingdom Analogy
2. Herodotus reading (materials: Herodotus reading & composition book)
a. Herodotus was Greek, he is considered the father of “History” as he was the first person to record history for the sake of remembering the human past. He wrote about the Greeks during the Persian wars (we will look at this topic later in the year), other cultures in the Mediterranean world and the Egyptians.
b. His book is titled simply “The Histories”
c. Please see the handout on Herodotus for reading and questions (to be answered in your composition book).
d. There will be 24 minutes of silent reading time. After this time has passed you may work with another person if you wish.