Also included in
- STEM Explorers Bundle - Global Engineering ChallengesPack your bags and take your students on a voyage of STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process with themed activities from countries around the world. This STEM curriculum includes activities that travel to each continent and$22.40$28.00Save $5.60
Take your students on a educational journey to Ancient Greece with this complete lesson! Read the letter from fictitious travel guides explaining the history of the Greek mathematician Archimedes and introducing simple machines. Students will learn about forces and the six simple machines as they complete demonstration activities and build a simple machine playground! A simple machine scavenger hunt helps solidify their understanding before students dive into the mission. Using the engineering design process, student teams are then tasked with designing an various playground equipment that represent each simple machine-- a seesaw is a lever, a merry-go-round is a wheel and axle, etc! Students also learn about the STEM careers of mechanical engineering and material science to bring in a real-world STEM connection. The included mission-related math problems extend the learning fun!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Grading rubric for the engineering design process
- STEM Career Connections
- Demonstration activity instructions
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Activity worksheets
- Math extension problems
Required Materials for Challenge: tape, scissors, paper plates, craft sticks, binder clips, string, straws, paper, pipe cleaners, cardboard tube, craft sticks, spoons, rubber bands, paperclips, and paper cups.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥