Ancient Greece: Greek Roots Word Detective
is a fun activity to discover the influence of Greek roots on modern English words. Students are given clues (Greek roots) for words. Students look for word that contain these roots. The purpose of this activity is not to have students memorize the meaning of the words but instead to show students how the Greek roots are connected to modern words and how sometimes a little inference can be used to determine meanings.
Perfect for stations or small groups, this activity engages students in inquiry-based learning. Use with other Ancient Greece-related activities for a comprehensive study of the Classical Period and for making cross-curricular connections.
Included in this guide:
- Teacher's guide for uses
- Student handouts
- 12 Greek root clues and 12 related modern English Words
- Answer Key
Also available as part of $$ saving 15 activity Ancient Greece Station Activity Bundle
Ancient Greece Resources Include
- Ancient Greece: Life in Ancient Greece
- Ancient Greece: Greek Roots Word Detective
- Ancient Greece: Greek Mythology Station Activities
- Ancient Greece: Figures of the Era Gallery Walk
- Ancient Greece: Art and Architecture of Ancient Greece
-Ancient Greece: Government and Democracy Activities
- Ancient Greece: Interactive Notebook Timeline Activity
- Ancient Greece: Student-Centered Unit Project
- Alexander the Great: Guided notes for interactive notebooks
- Ancient Greece: Interactive Notebook Pages
This purchase is for one teacher only. This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.
Did you know you can earn TPT credits easily?
- Go to your My Purchases page when you login
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn TPT credit to spend on future purchases.
Benefits of following the store
- Save $$$ - Follow the store and receive updates on new product launches. New products are 20% off in the first 48 hours. To follow simply click on the follow me star at the store. New product launches typically occur once a week.
- Follow the Facebook page
to find out about weekly deals, sales, flash freebies and giveaways.
- Read musings, tips, resources and ideas about teaching, education and education policy on the blog.
Don’t miss out on Math Mondays (all about teaching math).
- No more than 1 email from me directly to my followers per month.
To follow the store and save $$$, click on the follow me star above.