Do you want your students to be engaged in self-guided research that is about something that they really want to learn about?
Do you want them to learn how to be good writers and to write well about Social Studies topics using a thesis statement?
This comprehensive lesson does just that. This package gives you everything you will need in order to help your Junior High/Middle School to early High School Social Studies students to write a comprehensive, self-guided research paper about ancient Greece or Rome. The package includes the following:
1. 10-page description of the project and expectations using a 3-point thesis
2. 10-page description of the project and expectations using a basic thesis
3. Powerpoint with notes sheets demonstrating how to write a strong thesis statement
4. Graphic organizer - how to organize topic sentence plus supporting details
5. Graphic organizer - how to connect a three-point thesis to your topic sentences
6. How to write an introduction
7. How to write a conclusion
8. A list of suggested topics for research
9. Thorough rubrics for the components of the project
10. Helpful websites and resources
11. Notes sheets
12. Source citation sheets
13. Picture citation sheets
14. Peer editing forms
15. Blank and example outlines of the structure of what the paper will look like
16. Run-down of how to properly cite sources
17. Powerpoint of how to make a strong claim
18. Choice of topics form
19. Rubric for oral/visual presentation of the project
This will allow students to plot their own course and learn about an aspect of Greece or Rome that they choose for themselves. This process takes anywhere from three weeks to two months, depending on the rigor of the program and your speed of instruction. Students will have fun while learning how to research, back up a claim, write a thesis, and present their findings to the class.