This large, 198 page, Animal Bundle contains a wide variety of resources needed to teach a rigorous unit on animals. It includes CLOSE Reading nonfiction passages to help teach your students about animals (not familiar with CLOSE reading? It’s okay, we have instructions and anchor charts to help you incorporate it into your teaching). There are text dependent questions
aligned with each passage, a set of vocabulary cards with definitions to accompany the passages, An Animal Research Report
, and much, much more. A variety of other graphic organizers and activities are included as well.
This bundle focuses on vertebrate animals (mammals, birds, fish, amphibians, and reptiles). In the introduction, it is explained that animals are classified as vertebrates and invertebrates, and there are animals picture cards of some invertebrates for sorting games (categorizing and classifying), but the focus of this unit is on vertebrate animals.
We do encourage you to supplement with any other books, videos, and websites that you already use; they will blend nicely with our CLOSE reading passages. You can use this bundle in its entirety, or “pick and choose” the components to meet the needs of your students.
This bundle contains the following elements:
Animal Research Report
• CLOSE reading nonfiction passages with illustrations:
1. Passage One- Animal Classification
2. Passage Two- Animal Classes and Characteristics
3. Passage Three-Animal Biomes and Habitats
4. Passage Four-Animal Life Cycles
• Vocabulary cards with definitions for each CLOSE reading passage
• CLOSE Reading Instructions PowerPoint ( or handout) explaining the steps of CLOSE Reading
• Animal Picture Card Activity (we created two sets of cards with 48 pictures of animals; both vertebrates and invertebrates. We created one set with clipart animals and one set with photos. Every teacher has a different preference, so we created both.) These sets of cards are versatile and can be used for a wide variety of uses; we have suggested a few in the instructions.
• Anchor Charts for student annotation and Discussion Topics for CLOSE Reading
• “Text Dependent Questions”, to be used after all passages are read; this is intended as a summative assessment, or practice in citing textual evidence and giving examples from the reading of nonfiction text
• Common Core Essential questions (to be used after all passages are read, can be used as a summative assessment or a performance task)
• RAFT ideas (explanation included if you’re not familiar with RAFTS)
• Cognitive Content Dictionary (to be made into a “book” for student vocabulary words, definitions, and pictures
• KWL Chart ( you can use this at the beginning of the unit to ascertain what they may already know about animals)
• Venn Diagram to compare and contrast similarities and differences.
• A Tree Map Graphic Organizer ( a grammar component for students to analyze the words in the passages and their parts of speech)
• A CLOZE worksheet (a fill-in the blank) worksheet and answer sheet to accompany each passage to assess vocabulary attainment and your students’ ability to utilize context clues.
If you like this product, please check back soon as we will be posting new products in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will promptly help you. You can send us a “Question” through our store or email us at email@example.com
The Teacher Team
Here are some other items you may be interested in:
Butterfly Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions – Butterfly Report Included
Ecology Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Planets-Solar System Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Human Body Systems Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Volcano Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Earthquake Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Plants Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Weather Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Dinosaur Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Ecology Research Report
Plant Research Report
Animal Report and Insect Report Bundle
Earthquake – Volcano – Planet Research Report Bundle
Animal Report Packet for Primary Grades
Planet Research Report
Biography Report Packet for Elementary Grades
Autobiography Report Packet for Elementary Grades
Digestive and Excretory System Research Report (For Elementary Grades)
Thirteen Colonies Regional Inquiry Based Research Report
Common Core Circulatory System Research Report for Fourth and Fifth Grades
Common Core Respiratory System Research Report for Fourth and Fifth Grades
President Report Packet
Social Studies Research Report Bundle
Country Report Packet
Volcano Research Report
Polar Animal Research Report for Elementary Grades
Dinosaur Research Report
Insect Research Report
Amphibian Research Report
Ocean Animal Research Report
Earthquake Research Report
Reptile Research Report
Copyright 2015 The Teacher Team
All Rights Reserved by Author
Permission to copy for single classroom use only
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.