NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from ANIMAL FARM. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
* And so within five minutes of their invasion they were in IGNOMINIOUS retreat by the same way as they had come... (syn.) ANSWER: shameful
* As the summer wore on, and the windmill neared completion, the rumours of an IMPENDING treacherous attack grew stronger and stronger. (syn.) ANSWER: coming
11. In sheer MALIGNITY, thinking to set back our plans and avenge himself for his ignominious expulsion, this traitor has crept here under cover of night... (ant.) ANSWER: kindness
15. ...Old Major was still a majestic-looking pig, with a wise and BENEVOLENT appearance in spite of the fact that his tushes had never been cut. (ant.) ANSWER: cruel
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the ANIMAL FARM edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my ANIMAL FARM Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Visit my store to receive a FREE Bookmarks Plus edition of ANIMAL FARM!
Like my products? Take a look at my new LOOKING GOOD ON PAPER line. Great writing lessons, some barely touched on in textbooks--all based on my years of teaching writing "in the trenches"!
More unique products over ANIMAL FARM—see all 14 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: ANIMAL FARM edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! FREE! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these helpful bookmarks! Download this free one and see for yourself!
• ANIMAL FARM: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with the Animal Farm edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Animal Farm 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• ANIMAL FARM: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with the Animal Farm edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words. Helps prepare students for reading the book!
• ANIMAL FARM Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 240 questions!
• ANIMAL FARM: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—A Great Spelling Workout! Each quotefall is a quotation from AF. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• ANIMAL FARM: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrase. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• ANIMAL FARM: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode 12 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• ANIMAL FARM: 16 Theme-Related Quotations Plus Teaching Ideas! Well-researched quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers that relate to the theme of the book!
• ANIMAL FARM: 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—A Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• ANIMAL FARM: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid based on the number of letters in the word. These puzzles can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ANIMAL FARM: 4 Word Searches Based on the Novel! Four categories: The Animals; The Farm; Characters; Battle of the Windmill
• ANIMAL FARM: Anagram Crossword—Great Spelling Workout! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, each time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ANIMAL FARM: Completing Narrative Quotations Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete quotations from the book!
• ANIMAL FARM: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students must decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: The Farmhouse; The New Order; Battle of the Cowshed; Boxer; Napoleon; Snowball
Word-Wise Educational Products
more than 800 unique products over most-taught literature
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!