Help your students LOVE George Orwell’s famous allegory with this Four Week Complete Animal Farm Unit!
Contains four weeks of lesson plans and student materials ALL designed for high engagement and easy implementation! Weeks 1-3 include an in-depth study of Animal Farm. Week 4 is spent on the complete writing process for a literary analysis essay. Students develop original thesis statements, pre-write, draft, revise, edit and present their essays!
The Zip File contains the following:
• Editable Student Calendar
– Make adjustments as needed and save as a template to use for future units!
• Animal Farm Unit Overview & Lesson Plans
– Four weeks of unique lesson plans for easy implementation. Lessons are low prep and easy to implement using the Reader’s Writer’s Workshop format. Lesson plan format includes a mini-lesson, student independent work time and closing. Each lesson also clearly lays out materials needed and homework assignments. An IF/THEN chart is included in each lesson to help differentiate and direct students during Independent Work Time.
• Socratic Seminar Discussion Pack
– This Animal Farm Discussion Pack contains three different Fishbowl Style Socratic Seminar activities! The first is a Background Discussion Activity in which students discuss issues such as utopian societies and the merits of communism, socialism and capitalism. The second discussion, a Mid-Book Discussion Activity, is held after reading chapters 1-6. The Final Discussion Activity concludes the unit as students discuss larger issues such as the corrupting nature of power.
• Background and Mini-Allegory Activity
– Students read a background summary of the Russian Revolution, learn key terms, figures and definitions, and apply their understanding by writing their own mini-allegory.
• Rebellion Timeline Activity
– After reading 2, students synthesize information to create a visually appealing timeline of events leading up to the rebellion.
• Animal Farm Chapter Quizzes
– Students take three quizzes: Quiz #1 covers chapters 1-3 and background information, Quiz #2 covers chapters 4-7, and Quiz #3 covers chapters 8-10. Answer keys included.
• Character Exploration and Poster Activity
– Students complete an in-depth character analysis of an assigned character individually and then collaborate with others to complete the Almost Living Character Posters.
• Satire Chart Activity
– Student learn about satire and analyze George Orwell’s use of satire in Animal Farm.
• Animal Farm Final Exam
– The test has five sections: Background Information, Vocabulary, Character Matching, Multiple Choice Comprehension, and Short Essay for a total of 100 points. Answer key included.
• Animal Farm Essay Pack
– Students go through the entire writing process, including topic development, pre-writing, essay drafting, & peer review. A rubric is included along with textual evidence tips & reminders, thesis development, a peer review checklist, a whole-class feedback activity and general literary analysis tips & reminders.
• Vocabulary and Activities
– Includes 46 vocabulary words, divided by section: Background, Chapters 1-3, Chapters 4-7 and Chapters 8-10. Each set contains flashcards and student handouts in which students write the definition, use the word in a sentence, and then write a story using multiple words.
Check out my top-selling resources by clicking the links below:
Expository Essay Writing Unit
Romeo and Juliet Complete Reading Guide
3-Week Poetry Unit
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products:
• Look for the green star next to my profile picture and click it to become a follower. You’ll receive updates when I post products, freebies and discounts.
Please contact me with questions and visit my store for additional teaching materials: Love and Let Lit
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page. Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases. Thank you!
• Follow me on Instagram @loveandletlit
and Pinterest Love and Let Lit
Created By: Jacque Decker of Love and Let Lit