I created this unit with the idea of incorporating science with the common core standards for reading informational text. I wanted a way for my students to practice these reading standards while meeting our science goals as well. I use this unit with my nonfiction animal stories in our basal reader and with our science unit on habitats.
Included in this 43 page Mega Pack that is aligned to the Common Core are 5 activities that are literacy rich. Each standard is located in the upper right hand corner of each activity page and on the table of contents page.
1. Animal Habitat Match Cards with a student work mat
2. Habitats and Homes Main Idea Task Cards with a student work mat
3. Habitat Inference Task Cards with a student work mat
4. Research Guide/Project on Animal Habitats- This leads you through the research steps with your students and includes helpful handouts, parent note, project sheet, and a rubric for assessing this project.
5. Animal Friends Point of View Post Cards- Students will pose themselves as a particular animal from a certain habitat. They will write a postcard to another animal friend explaining their habitat, the climate, dangers found in this habitat, and etc.
For more ideas and resources to use with this unit please check out my post at:Nonfiction Text and Animal Habitats