In this project, students will investigate one of the seven phyla that makes up the Kingdom Animalia. They will work as a group to research their phylum and then create an organism that has “yet to be discovered” that would fit within their phylum. They will conduct research on characteristics of their phylum related to organism structure, metabolism, reproduction, and adaptations to use as traits in their created organism. They will design and build a model of their organism to be presented to the class, as well as write an essay about the organism’s design and the rationale behind it. This is a great way to stretch your students’ creatively and intellectually while also allowing them to grow in their appreciation for the diversity of life and the vast array of ways that organisms are structured and designed to survive and reproduce in a given environment.
How can I use this?
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
I love any opportunity to witness my students' creativity really flourish, and this project does just that. It is also an excellent opportunity for them to practice skills of conducting research, designing a model, writing an essay to defend their claims with evidence and practicing working together as a team. I also love any opportunity to get my students seeing how much bigger the world is than they often think of it, since they so easily can get caught up in the drama of their own worlds. The diversity of our world is FASCINATING and I want all of my students to see and appreciate that!
What is included?
What materials will I need to have in my classroom to set this up?
How much prior knowledge is needed for students to be successful completing this?
How much class time will this take?
This project takes about 1 week or 4-5 50-minute class periods.
What if I want more related to this?
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name, join my email newsletter, or follow me on Instagram. These are the three best ways to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any unsecured website or server that other teachers can access for free.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.