Animal Prosthetic Device STEM Challenge - Biomedical Engineering STEM Project
- Google Apps™
Also included in
- Middle schoolers can be a tough crowd. Are you struggling to keep your middle school students engaged in rigorous STEM learning? You can promote critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills by teaching the engineering design process with these engaging STEM challenges! EacPrice $51.94Original Price $74.20Save $22.26
- It is a challenge to keep students engaged when the weather is changing and holidays are around the corner. If you are struggling to keep your students’ attention and get to the end of the period, you are not alone! Now imagine having exciting, middle school STEM challenges on hand to keep your studPrice $38.67Original Price $55.25Save $16.58
How are you inspiring our next generation of scientists and engineers? Grab this exciting STEM challenge to teach your students about biomedical engineering! With minimal prep and materials your students will be engaged and having fun, while developing their STEM skills and learning about real-world STEM careers.
In this middle school STEM challenge, students will use simple materials and the engineering design process to design and build a prosthetic device for an animal. First, students will identify the project criteria and constraints. Then they'll research their three possible clients and identify which client they most want to help. Next, students will learn about the field of biomedical engineering and prosthetic devices. Then students will use simple materials to create their a prosthetic device that will help improve their client's quality of life. Through this process, students will use the middle school engineering practices outlined in the Next Generation Science Standards.
Grab this biomedical engineering activity today, so you can take a break from planning while knowing your students will still be learning and having fun!
This animal prosthetics STEM challenge includes:
- PDF, Google, and Easel versions of the student project packets
- Detailed teacher notes that include suggestions for differentiation and virtual learning
- Flexible building materials, so you can use what you have on hand
- A slideshow to assist with lesson facilitation
- A rubric for easy grading
- End-of-project celebration certificates
Materials needed for the biomedical engineering STEM challenge:
- Printed or digital copies of the student project packet
- Building materials, such as cardboard, wooden craft sticks, dowel rods, straws, pipe cleaners, etc.
- Stuffed animals to use as models for the prosthetic devices (optional)
How can the biomedical engineering STEM challenge be used in your middle school classroom?
- Keep students learning and engaged before summer or other holiday breaks
- Use the challenge to keep students on task when you have unusual schedules or low attendance due to field trips, testing, assemblies, or other interruptions
- Give your students practice with problem-solving using the engineering design process
- Introduce real-world STEM disciplines and professions
- Allow students to develop their 21st-century STEM skills, such as communication, collaboration, and critical thinking
- Meet Next Generation Science Standards and Performance Expectations, such as MS-ETS1-1
- Assign the resource for extra credit, a holiday break packet, or an extension activity
Did you know you can earn credit towards future TPT purchases by leaving a review? If you download this product, please come back and leave a review at the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TPT
If you liked this product, check out:
Let’s stay in touch!
If you have any questions about this product or my store, please send me an email. I’d love to hear from you! Follow me on TPT to learn about new products, sales, and freebies!