Animal Research BUNDLE // Lapbook + Worksheets // Common Core Aligned Grades 3-5
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (2)
Animal Research Reports Made Easy!
The BUNDLED Edition is perfect for hands-on research that will engage ALL learners!
It includes BOTH the original printable worksheets the hands-on lapbook edition for 25% OFF. Your students will love the differentiated supports for writing, and you will love the success they experience when a resource is truly differentiated to meet a range of needs. This bundle will give you the most flexibility for options that will best meet your students' needs across the years.
Don't be overwhelmed by research projects anymore! I have streamlined the process for you and your students so that it is both educational and enjoyable! The built-in scaffolded paragraph support will help students that struggle to write complete sentences, while the open paragraph structures will challenge students that are ready for enrichment.
This animal research report resource is perfect for any time of year! It also makes a great extension project for students that need an extra challenge with independent study.
This Animal Research Report resource includes BOTH Worksheets and Lapbook Options for all of the following:
I personally make a copy of this notes packet for each student. I include all pages, but I left off page numbers so that you can mix and match to best meet your students’ needs.
- Cover Page: Students will illustrate the animal’s habitat.
- Classifying My Animal: Students will classify as vertebrates or invertebrates and by phylum and class.
- My Animal in the World: takes a closer look at the animal's habitat
- Snapshots about My Animal: Students will classify their chosen animal as an herbivore, carnivore, or omnivore. They will list potential predators.
- Interesting Facts: Students will collect interesting facts about their chosen animal.
- Direct Quotes from Sources: Students will be guided to cite specific resources to incorporate direct quotes into the final research paper
I have included 4 different options of resource pages for you to include with the students’ Research Notes Packs.
- Simple Resource Format (up to 4 sources)
- 3 Books Resource Page
- 2 Books/1 Online Article Resource Page
- 1 Book/2 Online Articles Resource Page
These research-based strategies are designed to help students increase their overall comprehension of the topic they are studying. Both graphic organizers are designed to help students assimilate what they have been learning about their animal.
- Alpha-Sort: Students will use higher-ordered thinking skills to determine which words are most important when describing their animal. I like to pair students up after they complete the word sort to discuss with a partner why they chose each word and to compare and contrast.
- Select Two and Respond: Students will choose any 2 words they associate with their animal to write in the boxes at the top of the page. They will then describe in a complete sentence, group of sentences, or paragraph the relevance of those specific words to their animal. This is also a great conversation starter for small group or partner discussion.
- Making Inferences: Students will use this graphic organizer to combine text clues with the schema (prior knowledge) in order to make inferences about their animals. It is a great tool to use while they are doing their research to make them think more deeply about the topic.
- Venn Diagram: I like to have students use this after they meet with a partner to compare and contrast the words from their Alpha-Sort graphic organizer. It is a great follow-up activity.
BUILD AN ESSAY RESOURCES:
These pages provide differentiated support for students as they go through the writing process for their 5-paragraph research essay. These pages are especially helpful during the drafting phase of the research report.
- Write a Super FIRST SENTENCE - guides students through 3 strategies to help them write an engaging first sentence that hooks their audience
- Write a Super INTRODUCTION (2 differentiated options) - guides students through specific "I can" statements in order to write an engaging introduction paragraph that hooks their audience - includes checklist to edit with a partner
- Write a SUPER BODY PARAGRAPH - Overview (2 differentiated options) - guides students through specific "I can" statements in order to write an engaging first body paragraph overview about their animal- includes checklist to edit with a partner
- Write a SUPER BODY PARAGRAPH - Interesting Facts (2 differentiated options) - guides students through specific "I can" statements in order to write an engaging second body paragraph including interesting facts about their animal of choice - includes checklist to edit with a partner
- Write a SUPER BODY PARAGRAPH - Human Effect (2 differentiated options) - guides students through specific "I can" statements in order to write an engaging second body paragraph including their how humans have had an affect on their animal of choice - includes checklist to edit with a partner
- Write a Super CONCLUSION PARAGRAPH - guides students through 3 strategies to help them write an engaging conclusion paragraph that brings closure to their research report
- Write a Super CONCLUSION (2 differentiated options) - guides students through specific "I can" statements in order to write a conclusion paragraph that brings closure to their research essay - includes checklist to edit with a partner
- Editing Checklist - final editing checklist for students before completing their research essay
ANIMAL RESEARCH REPORT STATIONARY:
- Intermediate Lined Paper (3 patterns, front and back)
- Primary Lined Paper (3 patterns, front and back)
ANIMAL RESEARCH EDITING CHECKLISTS:
- Editing Checklist (full page)
- Editing Checklist (half page)
ANNOTATING SOURCES IN APA FORMAT – STUDENT HANDOUTS:
- Student Handout (2 pages/4 per page): These can be stapled together to pass out as a student resource OR cut apart and glued into an interactive notebook.
- Student Handout (1 page/8 per page): These can be stapled together to pass out as a student resource OR cut apart and glued into an interactive notebook.
- Flap Books Foldable Graphic Organizer (2 pages/4 per page): These can be glued into an interactive notebook.
ANNOTATING SOURCES IN APA FORMAT – POSTERS:
- Full Color (8 pages)
- Partial Color (8 pages)
- Black line (8 pages) – INK-SAVING!
I hope you find this Animal Research Report project helpful! I have found it really helps get my students excited about the researching animals and stay organized in the process. I give each of my students a manila file folder as their “special research folder” during the project as well, and they love using it!
If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org