Have an animal research report activity ready to go and engage your students in information writing with expression and creative voice!
The ‘Are You a _______ ?’ (any animal) activity is a fun, paper-based (not digital) alternative to the standard animal research report! Students research an animal, gather notes, and then answer set questions about their animal in a booklet. The questions on the booklet pages and the sentence starters guide students to choose pertinent information from their notes and to create a factual, interesting, and charming animal booklet. There are pages to create a 10-page booklet.
This activity can be used for many animal research projects! It is a research activity on its own, or it can also be an animal research component of a study of a specific country or region, or an ecosystem such as deserts, grasslands, alpine mountains, or rain forest.
Depending on the theme focus and level of research and written work, the ‘Are You a _______ ?’ is adaptable to Grade 7.
Students practice important research and information skills, including:
- searching for and choosing useful resources
- citing resources
- gathering and then selecting useful, key information
- synthesizing this information and using it to develop their own meaning and understanding
- producing descriptive, accurate, information writing with expression and creative voice
- showing their learning and producing a finished product (the animal booklet)
- presenting their work to an audience or sharing it with a partner or small group (optional)
- viewing themselves as researchers and writers
Please take a look at the Preview for more information and for samples of activity pages and research booklets.
Thank you for looking at this product and for visiting my store! Try one of my freebies! :)
animal project, animal report, research, non-fiction writing, descriptive writing, graphic organizer, note-taking, research skills, research project, animal research, worksheets, writing, research writing, animals, library skills