Newly updated! This 20 page literacy center has three sets of word/picture cards. The product focuses on learning animal names, connecting the names with their pictures, and putting animal cards in alphabetical order. This can be used as a matching game, "read the room", or to teach alphabetical order as a whole group, too. The colored pages reproduce well in black and white.
Each of the three sets of word/picture cards can be sorted into alphabetical order separately or together. The animal name cards with picture support can be used to “read the room”. These cards are numbered to be used with the recording sheet.
You can also ask students to search for the initial consonant animal cards to match them. I included the name cards without pictures for a variation in the game.
You will know which way seems best for your students. Level 1 English learners usually need to practice the words with the picture support initially before attempting to match just the name cards with alphabet pictures.
1. 26 animal name cards with graphics
2. 26 animal picture cards with initial consonants
3. Recording sheet to use for "read the room"
4. Two cut/glue alphabetical order practice pages
5. One alphabetical order practice page (no cut/glue)
6. 26 animal name mini cards with pocket chart header ("alphabetical order")
7. Suggestions for use