Animals: Classification, Life Cycles, Habitats, Food Chains, Adaptations & MORE!
Your next science unit is already planned for you! In this complete animal unit, students will participate in individual, small-group, and whole-class activities that will teach them concepts of animal classification, animal life cycles, ecosystems and biomes, habitats, animal adaptations, animal reproduction, and food chains and food webs. Resources include a teacher guide, hands-on students activities (printable or digital), learning centers, review game, and unit assessment.
Teaching science shouldn't be complicated. You need a resource that's simply laid out for you so that you can deliver rigorous lessons that your students crave (without all the work that comes with creating it)!
Luckily, you've got The Classroom Nook! I've taken the leg work out of creating a unit that is complete from top to bottom, interactive, engaging, and just plain FUN for you and your students.
HOW IT WORKS:
Each lesson has 3 components to help you structure your instruction effortlessly.
- Introduction - During this portion of the lesson you'll review previously learned content and add on or introduce new concepts and content vocabulary that students will be working on that day. You'll start as a whole group using anchor slides before breaking out into small groups for hands-on practice.
- Lesson Activity - During this time of your lessons students will "get their feet wet" through hands-on experiments and practice, often in partners or small groups. Students will interact with each other and apply what they are learning in real-world activities. They'll record their learning all in one place in their students activity packet.
- Lesson Reflection - Bring students back together at the end of the lesson to review, share, and discuss what they have learned during the lesson activity. Students reflect on what they've learned through journal questions right in their student activity packet.
- Teacher Guide with everything you need for each lesson. All needed resources are downloadable directly from the guide making prep a breeze! The teacher guide includes a unit overview and daily lesson plans. The lesson plans include detailed information about student objective, CCSS for grades 3-5, materials needed, teacher preparation required, and the steps on how to conduct the lesson. You'll even find sample anchor charts & answer keys embedded right into the teacher guide.
- A complete bulletin board set of over 50 pieces to help reinforce important concepts learned throughout the unit
- 90 engaging anchor slides used to teach each lesson (plus extra blank slides to customize for your needs) - anchor slides are provided in PowerPoint, PDF and PNG image file formats
- Gallery walk posters and picture cards (also available as a digital slideshow) to teach about vertebrate and invertebrate animal groups
- An interactive LINKtivity® digital learning guide for students to explore the life cycle of 5 different animals
- An article on life cycles (google classroom compatible)
- A reader's theater script to help introduce inherited and learned behaviors (google classroom compatible)
- A "Spin-an-Animal" activity for students to apply their understanding of inherited traits
- A 4-D Triorama craft template for learning about ecosystems
- 6 lapbooks (printable and digital formats) for teaching about 6 major biomes of the world (google classroom compatible) (also available as a digital LINKtivity®)
- 6 adaptation learning centers
- Student field guide template (20 pages of activities) for recording important information from their learning (google classroom compatible
- A unit assessment with answer key (google classroom compatible)
- A whole-class book template on animals
- An individual animal learning guide template for students to create using information that they learned from the unit.
- Animal Classification (Vertebrate and invertebrate groups)
- Animal Life Cycles
- Animal Reproduction and Inheritance
- Ecosystems and Habitats
- Major Biomes of the World (grasslands, deserts, rainforest, deciduous forests, tundra, taiga)
- Food Chains and Food Webs
- Changes in Ecosystems
- Animal Adaptations
Love interactive notebooks? Check out my ANIMAL INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK to use as a companion to this unit!
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I can't say enough positive things about this resource. Every activity was SO engaging and my 5th graders were begging for science. Prep was easy and I'll have this forever. Thank you!" - Ashley D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "This is an incredible unit -- really amazing!! Each part of the unit is thoroughly covered. The activities are creative and the resources are varied and so engaging. Your digital lessons are also cutting edge and make it easy for teachers to grab and go. I'm very impressed and enjoyed using every part of the unit." - Melissa G.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I love this resource. It's so nice to have the links within the plan so you can just click and get whatever resource is needed. Great product! I didn't have to plan anything after I bought this unit." - Ashley H.
MORE SCIENCE UNITS: