The Elementary Science Shop: Animals
This unit includes:
- 5 different games and activities
- Teacher and student instructions
- Student Response Forms and Answer Keys.
- 20 question Quiz with Answer Key.
This 57 page Unit covers the 5 Classes of Invertebrates in the Animal Kingdom:
There are 2 center/group activities for each class of animals:
- The first activity matches animal traits with the respective class of animal.
Ex: Has Fur or Hair – Mammal
- The second activity has students match specific animals with their correct animal class.
Ex: Cobra - Snake
The second activity may seem like the easier activity, but is actually more difficult because students must apply what they know about animal traits to figure out in what class each type of animal belongs. This activity encourages self questioning and uses high level thinking skills. I.e. “A frog has thin moist skin and goes through metamorphosis. What animal class has those traits?”
The card games also have students match either the animal traits with animal classes or specific animals with the appropriate class in order to reinforce animal classification skills.