PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Do you want your students to practice countryside and farm animals vocabulary in context in a fun and engaging way? If yes, then, these 5 activities* are for you!
* These activities are designed for beginner learners of French (French 1 and 2) and they are compatible with the material of the Discovering French Blanc, Unit 2, Lesson 5.
This document has 10 pages:
Pages 1-2: description of the activities in English
Pages 3, 5, 7: farm pictures
Pages 4, 6, 8: description in French of the farm pictures
Pages 9-10: worksheet and answers for activity #4
· Prépositions de lieu
· Animaux de la ferme
· Expression « il y a »
· Verbes au présent
Activity #1 (teacher-lead, listening) “Dessine-moi une image”
· Teacher reads a description of the picture (“Image #1”).
· Students draw (on paper with colored pencils or on iPads in Notability) per teacher’s description.
· When done, teacher calls on a student to say one thing she/he drew. Those students who have that, say “je l’ai” and those who don’t, say “je l’ajoute” and add that element to their drawing.
· When done, teacher shows the original picture for checking.
Activity #2 (student-lead, listening and speaking/reading)
· Working in pairs and taking turns, student A reads the description of the picture (“Image #2”) while their partner B draws. Then they switch. Student B reads the description of the picture (“Image #3”) while their partner B draws
· More advanced students could give their own description of the picture (without reading it).
Activity #3 (student-lead, listening, reading, writing) “Dictée courante”
· Students are divided into teams of 3. Each student has a job: student 1 is the runner (“le sportif”), student 2 is the writer (“l’intellectuel”), student 3 is the drawer (“l’artiste”).
· Each team needs 1 sheet of paper for recording the sentences, 1 sheet of paper for drawing and colored pencils. Both, recording and drawing can be done without paper and pencils (on iPads), in the app “Notability”.
· Teacher prints the description for “Image #1”, one description per one team.
· Teachers posts the copies of the description around the classroom.
· The runner runs to the wall with the description, reads the first sentences (to himself), memorizes it (if it’s long, in chunks), runs back and says it to his 2 other partners. The writer records the sentence on paper and the drawers draws it.
· When done, teacher projects the sentences and the picture for verification.
· The team that finishes first with fewer spelling errors and the drawing that resembles the most the original one wins.
Activity #4 (student-lead) “Vrai ou faux” (last page of this document)
· Teacher projects the 2nd picture “Image #2”, students, working on their own or with a partner, answer true or false questions about the picture.
· When done, teacher calls on students to check the answers.
Activity #5 (student-lead) “Je vois”
· Looking at the 3rd picture “Image #3”, students, working in pairs, take turns identifying one thing from the picture: “Je vois … (une vache).”
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Clipart used in this document comes from https://www.mycutegraphics.com/